Saturday 14 March 2015

Here We Go:

I've been writing Comics specifically for a year now. Truth be told it's not something I had really thought about doing beforehand. I've wanted to write ever since I was little. I've filled notebooks, laptops and mobile phones with ideas - but nothing's ever really come of them.

I had never found a medium that truly worked for me. Over the years my ambition's taken many forms. I started out wanting to write novels. When that didn't work it was short stories. I had a brief spell attempting to be a children's book writer and an even briefer spell as a poet.

Then, one day, I sat down and read an issue of 2000ad. It featured a Future Shock (I can't remember which one!), but it got me thinking - 'could I do this?' My family had suggested it in the past, but it was never something I ever really considered (I was far too busy failing to finish some book or short story idea.) But this time I thought I'd give it a go - what did I have to lose?

As with all first tries it wasn't great and it certainly wasn't an original idea. But I loved it.

With comics the art is paramount. More of the story is conveyed through the expression and actions of the character than the words they actually say. After all the years I had gotten bogged down trying to construct artfully crafted sentences to convey what I had in my mind to the reader, now I could just show them! 

I'm not saying writing comics is easy, of course. In many way it's harder than other mediums. You're not allowing the reader to develop their own interpretation of the story in their head - you're imposing your own on them. And if it's not up to scratch then the whole thing's doomed to fail. 

In comics I have finally found an outlet for all the outlandish, madcap and down right bizarre ideas knocking around my noggin.

I've written more in the last 12 months alone than I have in all my years before.

And I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment